Progress Update 1

This is my current progress on the infographic. The idea I want to explore is superstitions around the world. I also want to explore statistics, such as how many people believe them, and possibly how the superstitions got started. As a result I decided to explore creating a 3D map in After Effects. I used this tutorial for the map as well as this tutorial for getting a better understanding of using the camera.

In the end I found it to be more difficult than I expected. Manipulating things in the 3D space is challenging, and I did find it difficult to line up the map pin points so they wouldn't be floating too much as the camera changed. I also had some difficulty regarding the camera when it got around Sweden. For some reason it got really shaky and I couldn't figure out how to easily undo it, but maybe with more practice and experimenting I can make a smoother 3D map animation.

While I'm fairly proud of this first draft, all things considered, there are definitely some things I'll need to adjust before using it in my final video. For example, I'll need to work on are definitely the timing and getting a better handle on the camera controls if I use this 3D map within my final infographic.



Storyboards


List of Superstitions I Might Explore:

  • US - penny is lucky if found on the ground, even luckier if it has the year of your birth or anniversary
  • Chille - passing salt directly into another’s hand is unlucky for that person
  • Sweden- stepping on a manhole cover with a K brings good luck while one with an A brings bad luck
  • Egypt - unlucky to open and close scissors without cutting anything
  • Russia - yellow flowers given to someone symbolizes separation, infidelity or death
  • China - number 4 is unlucky because it sounds similar to the word for death
  • South Korea - fan death, the idea if you leave a fan on while you sleep in a closed room, you will die (maybe not this one, might be difficult to animate clearly, but is still a fascinating superstition) 
  • Japan- tucking in your thumbs in a cemetary shields your parents from death, thumb = parent thumb


Comments

  1. This is really exciting! I love your idea and I'm excited to see what you do with it. Thinking about your video, maybe you could add a text label next to the pins. The camera moves so fast (you could adjust this too if you wanted) that it's hard to really figure out where the pins are located on the globe. I'm decent at geography and I was struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. It makes me want to research these superstitions on my own. Are you going to use stick figure type illustration, video, or photo, or other? I could see this being interesting with a collage type style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 3D work is amazing. I love the flat colors. I know you aren't using this anymore but this is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment