Audio Clip

For this project, I explored a variety of different possible audio tracks. I knew I didn't want to go the motivational speech route; I couldn't envision myself spending the entire course of the project listening to the same speech over and over again, especially one that is supposed to be motivational. As a result, I decided to go a more playful direction and explore comedy and television shows as my source of audio. I eventually landed on a scene from Criminal Minds, for a couple of reasons. The first being, that the show is important to me because it helped bond my freshman year roommate and I. In addition, this particular dialogue is rather humorous but it also explores different styles of writing, which I think presents some great opportunity for exploring different forms of animation within the piece. I was able to adjust and trim parts of the audio to be 45 seconds. The audio also had a lot of background noise between people talking and phones ringing. I was able to minimize some of the background noise, both by adjusting the audio level during pauses and exploring different effects, including one which enhanced the dialogue and allowed the spoken word to be much clearer. I ultimately chose not to add background music. I felt it would distract from the dialogue and I thought those awkward pauses were important to maintain when music would prevent from providing the same impact.



Transcript of the audio from Criminal Minds Season 4, Episode 12:

You find anything incriminating?

I was able to differentiate between two distinct voices, two authors. I found various idiosyncratic words, phrases, punctuation and orthography within the blog entries consistent with each separate person. Words like soda and pop. One guy uses dashes while the other uses ellipses. *laugh*

What did you find, this kid? 

He was left in a basket on the steps of the FBI. 

One side of the discourse made a reference to the devil's strip. 

What the hell is that? 

It's a small patch of grass that separates the sidewalk from the street. Now that term is only used in central Ohio. William lived in Atlanta for 20 years, but he grew up in Columbus. The other guy uses words like turnpike and filling the gas tank, both specific regionalisms for Florida.

Kid, you sure about this?

*stares*

Right.






Comments